Thursday 24 April 2014

Amend: Shirring Elastic Waistband

BEFORE

I bought this dress a few years ago from Miss Selfridge - the neck tie detail on the front really caught my eye. I'd already added the black sleeves (to balance out the band at the bottom), but something still wasn't to my liking.

Given my... generous upper dimensions, it was just hanging off me like a bit of a sack. So I figured I'd add a waistband and decided on shirring elastic as the best method.

  

DURING

I used this blog by Made by Rae as my guide. For shirring, you put normal thread in the top of the machine and elastic in the bobbin, then simply sew across the fabric in lines, turning a flat piece of fabric into an elasticated piece. Here's my test piece...


Some guides talk about measuring out precise distances and straight lines, marking with chalk or tacking thread, but... I'm a bit lazy for that. I measured down from the underarm seam on both sides, put the dress on a flat surface, and pinned across in a straight line - then stuck it under the sewing machine! No going back after this...


One line complete and now for the rest...

AFTER

Ta-da! All done! All the lines of elasticated stitching pull together to make a really comfortable, elasticated waistband.



And I'm really pleased with the end result! Although it does shorten the already-short-skirt, so I think I'll be wearing it with leggings from now on.
 

 

Time to try my new fitted dress out I think.

Anyone for cocktails?

No comments:

Post a Comment