Thursday 24 July 2014

Amend: Maxi Dress

The subtitle for this blog post is: "Boob Shot"


As you can see from one of the pictures, I bought this dress in the sale at River Island, for once only a week ago. I needed a dress for a wedding, and I was drawn to this by the stunning colours.

 
I normally fit somewhere between a UK size 10 and 12. I think a size 10 would actually have been a perfect fit, but this dress is actually a 12, mainly because they didn't have it in size 10. As such, it is pretty gape-y from the side (Boob Shot #1).
 
I decided that bringing the side seam in about an inch on either side, and putting a small dart on the bust, would make the dress fit a lot better. 
 
A dart is a way of tailoring a garment so that it fits better by creating a small tucked seam on the inside and sewing it in place. You get them in loads of different places: trousers (allowing for a narrow waist, but more voluminous front); dresses (to fit the back or waist); and, as here, to shape the bust of a garment.
 
The fabric is double-layered (and the seams were short) so once again I cracked out the tacking thread. It's not hugely clear in this picture, but the red thread marks out the narrower side seam and small dart. I put one of each on either side of the front of the dress.
 
 
After tacking, I rustled up the sewing machine, whacked in the four new seams, whipped out the tacking thread and tied the threads off. And that was about it.
 
If you were getting this done professionally, it would be a more complicated job. But I prefer a rough and ready approach, as long as it doesn't show on the outside.
 
And here is the better fitting dress! (Sorry, more Boob Shots)
 
 
 
Overall, I could have gotten away with the dress as it was, but I wouldn't have been happy with the gaping at the side, showing off my underwear to all and sundry.
 
Taking into account my over-excited dancing style, I could probably even hide a sports bra under there... Hmmm...
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment