Saturday 17 October 2015

Make: Neck Tie

Sometimes I have really unproductive Saturday mornings, when I find myself still in PJs at midday. Today would appear to be one such day (and it's actually 1pm as I write this...in my PJs...), however appearances can be deceiving! For this morning, I made a tie!

We're going to a fancy dress murder mystery later, for which the Boyf needs a white tie. I can't face dealing with Saturday shopping crowds, so I thought I'd rustle one up while Boyf went to the dentist.

Using an old dust sheet, I cut out an exaggerated tie shape. In theory, you should probably make a pattern and make sure it's the same on both sides... But I just cut it out, cos it's quicker and I'm feeling lazy.


Then, I got out some iron-on interfacing. This is a kind of web-like material which thickens, ergo strengthens, fabric. The iron-on stuff is amazingly easy to attach, as it has some kind of magic shiny stuff on one side, that bonds to fabric with heat.



I cut two pieces of interfacing and ironed them to each of the pointy ends of the tie shape. These will help keep the tie looking pointy and sharp.


Counterintuitively, the next stage in getting a crisp point... is to cut it off.



Then, I went about making what should be a narrow, rolled hem. This is easier with shiny fabrics like silk, and not great for cotton (which my dust sheet is). My rolled hem ended up being a bit wider than would be ideal - not that it matters hugely, as long as it's neat.



I folded then ironed the edges, before getting the tie on the sewing machine and doing some straight top-stitching along each edge. This should be as neat as possible, as the reverse is actually the front of the tie so it will be visible. (Check out the weave of the fabric, going straight across! Whoop!)



Next, it's time to sew the long centred seam. Anyone who has read my other sewing posts should know how I feel about tacking (yawn) so I just pinned it, and sewed it with more straight stitch.



I would normally overlock my seams, however a tie should sit flat, and an overlooked centre seam would leave a bump. While it was still the wrong side out, I ironed it flat, spreading the halves of the seam so they also sit flat.



To turn it the right way out, I put a safety pin on the small end, and used that to pull it out the right way. Hard to describe, but it works a treat.

Another swift iron to flatten it out again (now the right side out) and voilĂ , a tie! And it only took an hour, so now I can get back to my lazy PJ day...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment