Sunday 24 January 2016

Make: Bias-Knit Sweater (1)

A few years ago, my sister's flatmate abandoned some very nice Debbie Bliss Rialto 4ply yarn in a maroon/claret colour. She knew I'd love to adopt the yarn, which needed quite a delicate pattern. I found this one online - it's from the 1950s magazine "Women's Day".


As an aside, there are some properly vintage knits in Women's Day - this is what Google images yields...


I started this jumper literally years ago and I don't actually have any pictures of the initial make phase. I came across the half-knitted jumper front when we moved house and added it to my To Finish file. It took about an hour to work out where I was on the pattern, and to figure out I was missing two stitches... But two outta 228 ain't bad!


I realised I wouldn't have enough of the maroon yarn, so I went online to order more - but it seems they don't make the 4ply in this colour any more! After an exhaustive and ultimately unsuccessful search, I instead decided to use a complimentary colour - mallow.

And today, I finished the front half of the sweater!


The pattern uses mostly stocking stitch on the diagonal, with knit rows to make the raised ridges. Contrastingly, you also use knit stitches for the channel up the middle - so some knit stitches stand out, some back. Go figure.


I used the mallow yarn for a V-shape across the shoulders - then for the reverse I will knit mostly in mallow, with a maroon V.


Now I just have to get on with the reverse! Let's hope it's not another few years...

No comments:

Post a Comment