Friday 8 August 2014

Make: Holiday Cross-Stitch

This week I have been on holiday in the south of France, enjoying a week off work and some much-needed sunshine. The week has comprised a few days at a villa and swimming pool, then some hiking days in the Pyrenees and now I'm in a (thankfully air-conditioned) hotel by the beach in St Jean de Luz.

Holiday creativity is always an interesting challenge, in that you have to decide in advance what kind of "creative" you will want to be... And then pack it into a suitcase.

I decided to crack out a small(ish) cross-stitch that I've taken when travelling in the past that has three primary-coloured beach huts.


I can't remember when exactly I started it, but I'll see how far I can get. It is a combination of full and half cross-stitch, backstitch and (appropriately) French knots stitched onto a woven fabric called Aida. The fabric tends to unravel around the edge as you sew, so I've sewn a border around mine.


I chose not to use an embroidery hoop, because I find them cumbersome to sew with - however, shout-out to fellow pool-side cross-stitcher Jo, who does use one!

As an aside... Metal 4mm crochet hook. Okay to take into the cabin of an aeroplane? It's similar to a regular biro, in terms of being "dangerous" on a plane. In fear of having it confiscated, I put mine in the hold. How would I Tetris without it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment