Sunday 21 September 2014

Make: Knitted Ear-Warmer

I bought some Drops Eskimo Print in the sale on Wool Warehouse. It's a 50g ball of chunky 100% wool, rather than my usual (cheaper) yarn, destined for size 8mm needles. I decided to design my own pattern to make an ear-warmer. I'm not great at pattern descriptions but let's have a go!

Use circular needles, 40 or 60mm long, size 6 (I think that means 6mm...)

Cast on 71 stitches and join, to knit in the round
Row 1: p1, *k1, p1* repeat to end
Row 2: k1, *p1, k1* repeat to end
Row 3: *k5, k2tog, yo, k2tog, yo* repeat to end (8 times)
Row 4: k all

Repeat rows 3 and 4 eight times, until piece measures approx. 8cm
(As you do this, the start point will move round by one stitch each time, creating the swirl)

Row 22: repeat row 3
Row 23: p1, *k1, p1* repeat to end
Row 24: k1, *p1, k1* repeat to end
Cast off and weave in ends.

Et voila! Mine took about 2hrs to make - love chunky wool.


Note for pattern repeat - I'm really not sure I've done a good job of describing it properly. That description above is how I thought of it. Here's a close-up of the finished pattern, to help improve the understanding of my instructions above.



And a wee diagram too, showing the progression of row 3. The pattern is worked from the bottom right, moving across and up.
 
Pink = knit as usual
Yellow = k2tog
Green = yo



Good luck with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment