Friday 17 October 2014

Make: Granny Square Blanket

I taught myself to crochet in March this year using videos from YouTube. After learning the basics of chaining, single and double crochet, I took on one of the classics - a granny square.


I used some acrylic yarn, a size 4 hook, a whole bunch of websites and more YouTube videos. Many, many hours were spent crocheting round and round and round... Until I had a finished blanket!



After finishing a crocheted project, it will often buckle or bow around the edges. In order to flatten and straighten out a piece, you can block it - wetting the knitting or crochet to relax the yarn and reshaping it whilst it's wet, so it dries in the desired shape. I did this to my blanket, to finish it off ready for use!

I couldn't have learned how to do this without help from YouTube. There are so many crafters out there posting helpful How-To videos, so I wanted to pass on the torch with my Blocking Basics video. Hope it helps any amateur blockers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment