Thursday 9 July 2015

Make: Army Armbands

In a few week's time, I will have the honour of being a bridesmaid for the very first time! Eek! We had the Hen-Do recently, which I had the pleasure of organising. It was never going to be your bog-standard hen-do - for my friend, Helen, is no bog-standard hen! Throw away any conventional ideas and think 10 girls throwing themselves round an army assault course in the woods... Whoop!

The girls came from different walks of Helen's past, so I thought it would be useful to have name-tags of some kind, so would know whose names to shout out in encouragement and, you know, who to apologise to for standing on their heads or shoving bums up and over 8ft walls...

 
I used an old pair of camo shorts and cut them up to make the main part of the name band.

For the ties, I used this netting/webbed fabric, because it didn't need hemming and would tie comfortably around the upper arm.


I only had one evening to make 11 armbands, so it was not the neatest job in the world - quantity over quality! This obviously meant spreading my stuff everywhere! Over the whole floor! Across three rooms!


I machine stitched down the short edge of each piece, one after another like a washing line, with a piece of black netting attached to either side.


Then, because I can't carry on without just a little bit of quality, I top-stitched each join too. This also made it the join a lot stronger.
 

And of course, it's not just one... But many!


The idea was that everyone could write their name on the centre piece of fabric with a Sharpie marker. I also added some regimental stripes to the bride's band and also the bridesmaids'...


And they worked very well on the day - by the end of the assault course, we all knew who we'd been heaving round the woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment